Saturday, June 30, 2012

Florida Trip

As I promised earlier, this post will be all about my family's last minute trip to Fort Walton Beach, Florida (which is in the panhandle and borders the Gulf of Mexico). The reason why we went was because my siblings and I had never seen a beach before, unless the beaches on the Discovery Channel count. Sad, I know, and my mom thought it was so sad that she booked the whole family a condo at the Islander Resort so my siblings and I could finally see a real beach through or own eyes, rather than through a TV screen. And you wanna know what? I'm glad she did, but more on that later.

Oh, as a brief note before I start, I mentioned earlier that I was going to post pictures from our trip and I was totally going to do that. But guess who forgot to bring the USB cord to hook her camera up to her laptop so she could actually access the pictures?

Yeah. Me.

*sigh* What is it with me and forgetting things this week? Well, I hope this post will be just as good sans pictures. =)



Monday, June 25th
We left for Florida at about 8:30 in the morning. We were going to leave much earlier, but my parents and grandparents were so busy watching the news for more updates on tropical storm Debby (which was supposed to hit where we were going) that we almost didn't go. We finally did, though, and I spent most of the car ride being bored out of my mind. I don't mind long car rides, but my youngest sister (who was in the other car) was using my PSP car charger for most of the trip, so I couldn't really do much of anything besides stare out the window. We listened to so much country music that my head was throbbing by the time we reached the Islander.
And, of course, the room we got was on the 6th floor. I say "of course" because I'm acrophobic (afraid of heights), and any time my family goes to a hotel we never get the ground level. Never. Plus, the elevators were cramped, dark, and stuffy, which really made my fear of elevators act up. The condo was nice, though, and the view was beautiful.
But I still hate heights and elevators. *shudder*

Tuesday, June 26th
This was our first whole day on the beach. The sand was the white type that was incredibly soft but was still extremely annoying when it got under my fingernails. It was also so awesome to feel the waves smack into me when I was in the water. Some of them were so strong that I got knocked back a few paces. We also started collecting shells, though most of the ones we found were those little white ones. My youngest sister was looking for a conch shell...until we told her that she wasn't going to find one of those in the Gulf of Mexico. Conches are in Australia, right?
After a whole day at the beach, we went to Pizza Hut for dinner and then watched TRON: Legacy back at the condo. It was the first time any of us had ever seen it and, while it was overall ok, I really didn't like the naturalistic worldview that was practically smothering the whole film. The Isos were the main thing that really bugged me. But the visual effects and the soundtrack was absolutely amazing! I don't like all of Daft Punk's songs, but their soundtrack for TRON was mesmerizing!

Wednesday, June 27th
Walked on the beach, sat out in the sun, looked for shells, waded in the ocean, same basic stuff we had done the day before. My siblings had a lot of fun wave jumping in inner tubes, but I didn't try it. That's just not my kind of thing. Instead, I got sunburned....again. I don't tan. I burn. Like crazy. Even when I slather 60 spf sunscreen all over myself multiple times I still get sunburned. How in the world does that work?
Anyway, we spent most of the day at the beach again, and my parents picked up Soul Surfer for us to watch. I only watched the last twenty minutes or so because films based on true stories (even one as amazing as Bethany Hamilton's) just aren't my thing. What I saw, though, was very well done. Still not my cup of tea, but it was good anyway.
My grandparents also picked up two boxes of chocolate popsicles, and we all had to eat at least three because we couldn't take any home with us. Needless to say, my siblings and I were very happy about that! =D
We also went to a gift shop, but I wanted out practically the minute I walked in. I have never seen so many swear words and so much innappropriate content in one place. It was like one big slap in the face to me. Besides, this store was supposed to be for families, and, let me tell you, a lot of the stuff in that store was not family friendly. I've never been so glad to get out of one place in my life!
After Soul Surfer we went back outside to walk on the beach in the dark. We had seen a lot of people on the beach at night with flashlights on both Monday and Tuesday night, and on Wednesday we finally decided to go out there and see what they were doing. Turns out that they were looking for crabs, not hailing alien spaceships like I thought (yeah, I'm weird like that =P). We found a crab ourselves - a white one that was about as big as the palm of my hand - and he was so cute! I got a picture of him with my phone, but it's not that great of quality because the only light out was the moon and our flashlight. Ah, well. He was still so adorable!

Thursday, June 28th
After walking on the beach one last time, we packed our bags and made the trip back to our grandparents' house. It's weird how trips seem longer when you're going there, but they seem really short when you're coming back. We stopped by Cracker Barrel for dinner (which is my favorite restaurant, by the way), and I had my usual French Toast. Man, the guys at Cracker Barrel know how to make good French Toast! I feel like drooling just thinking about it! =D
We made it back to my grandparents' house around seven or eight at night, and I passed out at around nine. Yeah, I was that tired, but tired in a good sort of way.



So, that was my family's whirlwind vacation to Florida. It was so totally worth it, and I had so much fun! I'm so glad that my mom planned this for us, and, honestly, I can't wait to go back to the beach sometime! =D




 - Edessa, signing off

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it clean. And "if you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all" (Thumper from "Bambi"). Other than that, all comments, suggestions, requests, questions, concerns, and compliments are more than welcome!

Post away! :D