I've just been given the Liebster Award from Gabrielle, a very good friend of mine who has a really good writing blog called The Ink Stained Parchment. If you like writing, you should totally check out her blog!
So to accept this award, I have to state eleven random facts about me, then answer the eleven questions Gabrielle asked me, and then pick eleven friends whose blog has less than two hundred followers and ask them eleven random questions. Let's start with the eleven random facts, shall we?
1. My reading list for this summer has about forty-two or forty-three books on it that range from historical fiction to sci-fi to theology to fantasy (I like a lot of different kinds of books).
2. I sometimes livestream my online gameplay using Twitch.tv (my channel - unoriginally - is EdessaCarrick).
3. I like fuzzy animals and even go running to hug cute animals in video games.
4. I don't like hot dogs. They're just...bleh... *shudders*
5. On the other hand, homemade apple pie is absolutely AMAZING! Particularly my mom's.
6. I'm going to start working on my entry 501st Legion costume hopefully sometime next week. I want to go as Eleena Daru (from the book Deceived and from one of the SWTOR trailers), but if the lekku start giving me pains then I'll probably switch to Darth Zannah. I'll definitely keep you posted on the process!
7. As much as I love dogs, I would love to have a pet sloth or slow loris or koala someday. They're just so stinkin' cute!
8. Err...wow, I'm running out of ideas. Uhhhhhhh...I eat things, I guess? Like food. I eat food. That's kinda random, right?
9. I LOVE PINTEREST! LIKE LITERALLY! IT'S JUST SO AWESOME! Yeah.
10. I'm a Communication major, and I'm thinking I'd like to work in the film and/or video game industry for public relations and/or advertising (not sure which yet).
11. I'm that weird kind of individual that everyone seems to be comfortable with telling me everything, and that's totally ok with me because I really love helping people and giving emotional and physical support whenever I can. Probably makes sense why I'm a Communication major, right? =P
And now to answer Gabrielle's questions:
1. Why did you start your blog? (If you already been asked this question and answered it, you don't have to unless you want to).
Well, I have been asked before, but I'll answer anyway. I started HNED simply because I love video games and movies, and I wanted to share that love with fellow fans. That's the uber-concise version, but hopefully it still works.
2. Where do you hope to find yourself in five years? 10?
I'd really like to be married in five years, and hopefully before ten years. Other than that, I'd like to graduate from college and have a career in public relations and/or advertising for some video game or movie production company. I'm thinking 343 Studios, EA, BioWare, Disney, Warner Bros., or even Microsoft, but we'll see where God leads. Wherever I end up, though, I definitely want to be a light for Christ to my fellow workers and bosses and then (by extension of working public relations or advertising) the world at large.
3. If you could be in any movie, what movie would it be?
The Lord of the Rings, no questions asked. I'd wear all the crazy make-up and even be ok with never being seen on-screen, just please, please, puh-leeeeeeeeease let me be in just one little tiny scene! That would be just so awesome!
4. Are you quiet, shy, or outgoing?
Er, it kinda depends. I'm very quiet and reserved when I'm around people I don't know (doesn't mean I don't smile or talk to them, but I'm just very careful to not let them see all my craziness because I'm paranoid like that), but I'm very talkative, random, and all around crazy when I'm around people I know. And if you're really close to me, then you get to see the really deep-rooted fangirl passion that is me. So, yeah. It depends on who I'm around and what the situation is.
5. What are you currently reading?
I'm currently reading three books from my reading list: The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis (amazing book), Come Thirsty by Max Lucado (also an amazing book), and Foreigner by C.J. Cherryh. And I'm always reading the Bible, so I guess that counts, too.
6. Star Trek or Star Wars?
Warsie For Life! I mean, I love Star Trek, Stargate, and Firefly (working on Dr. Who), but Star Wars is just unbeatable!
7. When you are at the library or movie rental place, do you find yourself reaching for an action/adventure film, romantic, comedy, or documentary?
Action/Adventure is what I go looking for, but honestly there are so few in that genre that can actually meet my high expectations. Sometimes I can just sit down and watch what I call a "junk movie" (a movie that just exists to entertain and make me eat popcorn compulsively), but most of the time I want to watch a movie with clear messages, a well-thought-out plot, deep and well-rounded characters, complex themes, meaningful cinematography, and immersive acting. Unfortunately, most Action/Adventure movies are "junk movies," so I usually just end up going for a BBC drama like Little Dorrit, Emma, or Bleak House. BBC is just amazing like that.
8. Lewis or Tolkien?
Tolkien all the way! LOTR is my favorite book (after the Bible), and he's just inspired me so much. I do like Lewis, but really only his books on Christian theology and doctrine. I mean, Narnia is good, but he just writes better nonfiction than fiction, in my opinion.
9. If you met the Doctor and he said he would take you back in time to any place in history, what period would you choose?
Asking this of a history geek (like me) is like asking a dog what kind of food he prefers. I think if I had the choice, I'd want to go back to the time of Christ so I could follow Him around on His ministry and get to ask Him some of the questions I have. Hopefully the Daleks wouldn't follow us, though...
10. Do you watch cop shows?
Only Monk and Castle. Cop shows really aren't my thing, but I do like those two.
11. Are you into Biblical Archaeology?
I haven't kept up-to-date with any of it, but I do find Biblical Archaeology quite fascinating. The Dead Sea Scrolls are one of my most favorite discoveries, but any discovery that clearly gives more and more evidence for the truth of the Bible makes me so happy (not like anyone should rely on physical evidence alone, but sometimes it helps for witnessing).
I would now like to give this award to...
James the Movie Reviewer
Duchess of Mandalore
To accept the award, you just need to state eleven random (or not-so-random) things about yourself, and then answer these questions:
1. If you could go anywhere in the world for as long as you'd want to, where would you go?
2. What's your least favorite food?
3. Biggest pet peeve?
4. What's the best movie and/or video game and/or tv show you've ever watched/played?
5. Do you prefer "junk movies" (movies just for enterainment's sake) or deep, complex ones?
6. What's one of your most favorite memories?
7. Where do you see yourself in five years? Ten years?
8. What is your number one fandom?
9. Would you rather be stranded on a deserted island with Deadpool or Wolverine?
10. Describe your room in three words.
11. What's your dream job?
Thank you, again, for awarding me, Gabrielle! Hopefully I'll get to see you again sometime soon! =D
- Edessa, signing off