Remember how I've been hyping up that The Avengers would have to make more than $169.2 million on its opening weekend to take the #1 North America spot from from current reigning champion, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2?
They did it.
The Avengers made a grand total of $200.3 million dollars in three days on its first weekend in America and Canada.
That pushes Deathly Hallows 2 down to second place with The Dark Knight at third and The Hunger Games at fourth.
But with The Dark Knight Rises - the last Christopher Nolan Batman film - debuting this summer, will The Avengers be able to hold that #1 position? I honestly have no idea.
With The Avengers in theaters, attendance to other films dropped dramatically. Here are the estimated ticket sales from Friday the 4th through Sunday the 6th at U.S. and Canadian theaters:
1. The Avengers - $200.3 million ($151.5 million international)
2. Think Like a Man - $8 million
3. The Hunger Games - $5.7 million
4. The Lucky One - $5.5 million
5. The Pirates! Band of Misfits - $5.4 million
6. The Five-Year Engagement - $5.1 million
7. The Raven - $2.5 million
8. Safe - $2.47 million
9. Chimpanzee - $2.4 million
10. The Three Stooges - $1.8 million
And here are the Top Ten XBox 360 games for May (as compiled by Game Informer):
1. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition
3. Trials Evolution
4. Prototype 2
5. Dragon's Dogma
6. Mass Effect 3
7. Street Fighter x Tekken
9. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13
10. Sine Mora
Are you surprised by how much The Avengers made on its opening weekend? And do you think that The Dark Knight Rises might be able to take that #1 spot away from The Avengers, or even do better than The Dark Knight did?
- Edessa, signing off