Monday, July 22, 2013

Horror Movie Scares Off Pseudo-Ghostbusters

When it comes to choosing between a movie about demons and exorcisms and a movie about policemen shooting ghosts, it seems that the general public prefers the former.

Based on a true story about a Catholic demon-hunting couple, The Conjuring was the number one movie in America last week, pulling in $41.9 million in its first weekend.  R.I.P.D. - which stands for Rest In Peace Department, and is probably one of the most boringly unoriginal titles I've seen in a long time - opened over the same weekend as The Conjuring but only pulled in $12.7 million, which puts it in seventh place overall.

I guess not even Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds can save a Ghostbusters-wannabe movie with a bad title.

On the other hand, Despicable Me 2 has been doing very well in its weeks at the box office (I saw it twice, so there's about $20 for it right there).  It held onto the number two spot over the weekend, followed closely by Turbo (am I the only one who thinks that this movie is basically Cars but with a superpowered snail instead of a talking car?  If the story works, though...).  So just from weekend number one, it looks like the public prefers Mr. Reynolds as an animated snail instead of a Ghostbuster.  Works for me.


Here are the estimated ticket sales in the U.S. and Canada from Friday the 19th through Sunday the 22nd:

1.  The Conjuring - $41.9 million
2.  Despicable Me 2 - $24.9 million
3.  Turbo - $21.3 million
4.  Grown Ups 2 - $19.9 million
5.  Red 2 - $18 million
6.  Pacific Rim - $16 million
7.  R.I.P.D. - $12.7 million
8.  The Heat - $9.3 million
9.  World War Z - $5.2 million
10.  Monsters University - $5.1 million


In other basically unrelated news, I finally finished my really crazy month of working basically nonstop and to "celebrate" I decided to get a Twitter account just for fun.  Some people have started following me there already, and if you have Twitter I'd love to follow you back.  If you're interested, just follow this link to go to my profile.

I'm also experimenting with a new schedule for my life to make sure that everything gets done when it's supposed to get done, so you can expect more regular posting as well as new Holocron episodes coming soon (which includes finishing up my commentary of the original Star Wars trilogy, a discussion of what I want to see in the new SW movies, and possibly even finishing up my commentary of the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy).

So, yeah, a lot of updating, scheduling, getting back on track, and whatnot, but it'll be fun.  I know I'm definitely looking forward to it!

I'm curious: what have you guys been up to this past week or so?  Have any fun last-minute vacation plans before the summer's over?




 - Edessa, signing off


1 comment:

  1. Wow, there are so many movies that bombed the last two weeks! Who would have thought that Despicable Me 2 would crush both Pacific Rim and Red 2 at the box office.
    Hopefully the Wolverine will do well this week. =)

    -James

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it clean. And "if you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all" (Thumper from "Bambi"). Other than that, all comments, suggestions, requests, questions, concerns, and compliments are more than welcome!

Post away! :D