Monday, November 19, 2012

Twilight Sucks The Box Office Dry

Ah, Twilight.

There are so many things I could say about you, but today I'll just limit myself to congradulating you on your very strong opening weekend at the Box Office. After all, it's not just any movie that can pull off a $340.9 million worldwide gross in three days.

Twilight: Breaking Dawn -- Part 2, the last installment in the extremely popular vampire romance saga based off of the bestselling novels by Stephanie Meyer, sucked $141.3 million out of North Americans alone, $340.9 million worldwide. That domestic total puts Breaking Dawn, Part 2 at the number eight position in the list of all-time domestic debuts and "leaves 'Twilight' with three of the top-10 openings, joining 2009's 'New Moon' (No. 7 with $142.8 million) and last year's 'Breaking Dawn -- Part 1' (No. 9 with $138.1 million)" (Star Tribune).

And that's pretty good for any movie, particularly the fifth film in a series. True, I've never been a fan of Twilight or any other supernatural romance story, but I know that Breaking Dawn -- Part 2 deserves at least a congradulatory nod for placing as it did last weekend.

What isn't surprising is that 79% of the opening weekend audience was female, but on the other hand Part 2 also "drew the biggest male crowds in the series," according to the Star Tribune.

How much do you want to bet that most of the guys there were on a date with their girlfriends or wives?

With Part 2 at the top of the Box Office list, the newest James Bond film (Skyfall) dropped to number two and Wreck-It Ralph dropped to number four.

But the most interesting thing that happened at the box office last weekend was that there was a three-way tie for the number ten spot. Sure, I've seen ties before, but only ever two-way. Three films inhabiting one spot is really new for me, but also very interesting.


Here are the Top Ten highest grossing films at U.S. and Canadian Box Offices from Friday November 16th through Sunday November 18th (courtesy of the Star Tribune):

1. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn -- Part 2 - $141.3 million
2. Skyfall - $41.5 million
3. Lincoln - $21 million
4. Wreck-It Ralph - $18.3 million
5. Flight - $8.6 million
6. Argo - $4.1 million
7. Taken 2 - $2.1 million
8. Pitch Perfect - $1.3 million
9. Here Comes the Boom - $1.2 million
10. (tie) Cloud Atlas - $900,000
10. (tie)  Hotel Translyvania - $900,000
10. (tie) The Sessions - $900,000


And if you're on Facebook, remember to check out HNED's official page and - hopefully - even Like it! Just search for HoloNet Entertainment Daily, and it should be right there! =D




 - Edessa, signing off

4 comments:

  1. Although I will never watch these movies, the fact that it made a lot of money makes me loose faith in humaity. :P I feel bad for the male audience who were forced to watch it too. I liked your Facebook page too. :D

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray they won't make any spin-off Twilight movies just to make more money. Please, no!
    I'm just looking forward to The Hobbit and Les Miserables ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw Breaking Dawn pt. 2 (with my mother and a friend) and it was...blah. Very blah. Disappointing, even for these films. I'm glad that Twilight is out of the way; hopefully they pick up some good book series now, and make good films of them. I'm sick of the terrible jobs that they've been doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm.. interesting. I'm not a fan of Twilight but I don't hate it either.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it clean. And "if you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all" (Thumper from "Bambi"). Other than that, all comments, suggestions, requests, questions, concerns, and compliments are more than welcome!

Post away! :D