Monday, July 9, 2012

John 3:16

If you were ever part of AWANA or any other Bible memorization group, you most likely have memorized John 3:16. I think it might actually be one of the first Bible verses I ever memorized. It's a verse that has been quoted so often that most of us kind of glaze over it, but I'd like to highlight it for the Verse of the Week.

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16 (ESV)

John 3:16 basically tells the story of salvation. God loved us so much, even in our sin and rebellion, that He sent Jesus - the second member of the Trinity, God the Father's only Son, the Savior - to earth as a human to die for our sins. Whoever believes in Jesus and accepts Him as the only true, living Savior and lives for Him will have eternal life with Him in heaven.

I may have heard John 3:16 quoted probably a hundred times, but when you stop to think about what that verse means it's just so amazing. The One, True, Perfect, Sinless, All-Mighty God sent His equally One, True, Perfect, Sinless, All-Mighty Son to die for a sinful rebel like me just because He loves me and wants me to live forever with Him in heaven. I didn't do anything to deserve that, and I still don't do anything to deserve grace like that. All I can do is believe in Him, follow where He leads, repent of my sins, and live my life completely for Him.

That's just so awesome! =)




 - Edessa, signing off

1 comment:

  1. I agree, it's quoted so much but it's such a wonderful verse. I remember at a retreat hearing "Jesus would rather die that horrible death than spend eternity without me" - like what you were saying - which I love thinking about. Yes, that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it clean. And "if you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all" (Thumper from "Bambi"). Other than that, all comments, suggestions, requests, questions, concerns, and compliments are more than welcome!

Post away! :D