Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day Verses

I apologize for the very long and sudden haitus. I got my mom's head cold and have felt truly awful until today. Ah, well. Better late than never, I suppose. :)


Since today is Memorial Day, I tried to find a verse for this week that will remind us of the men and women throughout the ages who have give their lives for our freedom. While there isn't a verse in the Bible that specifically deals with remembering the Armed Forces, I did find an article that listed these verses, among a few others, that I thought were very appropriate:


"The memory of the righteous is a blessing," - Proverbs 10:7a (ESV)


"Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." - 1 Corinthians 16:13 (ESV)


"Pay to all what is owed to them...respect to whom respect is owed, honor to whom honor is owed." - Romans 13:7a, c (ESV)


Today - and preferably everyday - remember those who gave their lives so you could live and enjoy your freedom. It's so easy to take that freedom for granted, but I urge you today to not only remember those who have died but also pray for those soldiers who are living and fighting for you. Pray for their safety, for their families, for their command to make wise decisions. If you have the chance, I encourage you to thank a soldier personally for what he has done on your behalf.

(from a poem a wrote for school about a soldier:)

"Remember that while you're living, someone else is dying,
Someone sacrificing for you without ever knowing
Who you are, or if you care, or if your life
Was worth his death.

When you think of your liberty,
Think of me.
When you live your life,
Consider those who live to die.

Please. Remember Me."









Never forget.

Always remember.

To all soldiers, both veterans and currently enlisted: Thank you so much for your sacrifice. Thank you for fighting for my freedom, for facing unspeakable horrors for my liberty. I pray that God would continually bless, encourage, and strengthen you and your families every day. Your sacrifice is the reason I can live free today, and I celebrate you today and everyday. May God bless you today, tomorrow, and forever!

Happy Memorial Day!




 - Edessa, signing off

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it clean. And "if you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all" (Thumper from "Bambi"). Other than that, all comments, suggestions, requests, questions, concerns, and compliments are more than welcome!

Post away! :D