Monday, May 21, 2012

Mark 10:6-9

I apologize that this post on the Verse For the Week is a day off, but I suppose that late is better than never. :)

Since I went to my friend's wedding yesterday, I figured that it would be appropriate for the Verse For the Week to concern marriage:

"But from the beginning of creation, 'God made them male and female.' 'Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.' So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate." - Mark 10:6-9 (ESV)

I really like the last sentence (verse 9) which says, "What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate." There seem to be a whole lot more divorces lately than there ever used to be. Many divorces are because of adultery, not feeling loved, because one spouse won't change, or even because the couple has "fallen out of love" with each other. It doesn't help that it's become easier and easier to get a divorce and that it's also so acceptable in not only American culture but also across the world.

But God instituted marriage to be lifelong, a commitment until death between a man and a woman. When you get married, you're making a commitment to stay with your spouse - and only your spouse -for life. There is no place for other extramarital "partners" or anything like that. It isn't a contract that you can break if you don't feel loved enough or if you meet someone else. God joins people in marriage, and whatever God - the only, perfect, just, righteous, all-knowing God - joins should not be broken by man - man who is a created, fallen, imperfect being.

Of course there's going to be rough times. I'm not married and even I know that. No true relationship is without the occasional hurdle or ditch. But we're not supposed to bail out the minute things get hard, or something unexpected (like losing a job) happens (and bad things will happen). Just like in any other situation, the husband and wife are supposed to stick together for better or for worse, in sickness and in health, for richer or for poorer. That vow isn't something you just say flippantly and then expect life to be all rainbows and puppies from then on out. It's a serious, lifelong commitment, and I pray that people not only here in America but around the world would have their eyes opened and see God's plan and will for the institution of marriage.

My pastor gave this cool picture while giving some advice about marriage (I made the one below using Paint). He said to imagine a triangle with God at the top, and the husband and wife each on a bottom corner. The closer the couple draws to God, the closer they will draw to each other.

I think that is really good advice, and I don't think I'll ever forget it.


Well, I hope that wasn't too "preachy," but I truly believe the sanctity of marriage is something that both Christians and non-Christians need to realize. I encourage you to look in your Bibles and study what God's Word says about both marriage and divorce. It's a big issue, and we Christians need to know how to defend what we believe in.




 - Edessa, signing off

1 comment:

  1. I love it:) I hate it how people dont take their vows seriously. I mean, you PROMISED to stay with someone FOREVER. not "yeah I promise to love you forever....until things get hard. then Im just gonna give up." no. people need to start taking marriage seriously. I loved the picture:) very cool.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it clean. And "if you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all" (Thumper from "Bambi"). Other than that, all comments, suggestions, requests, questions, concerns, and compliments are more than welcome!

Post away! :D