Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Les Miserables

Les Miserables is a novel I have always wanted to read but haven't gotten around to because of a not-so-great experience with another one of Victor Hugo's novels, The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I got maybe to chapter three in The Hunchback, but it was so boring and rambling - if I want to learn every tiny detail about the history and architecture of the Notre Dame I'll find a book about it at the library, thank you very much - that I just quit and never picked it, nor any other Hugo book, up again.

But all of my friends who have read the novel or see the musical have said that Les Miserables is very good, and if the upcoming film turns out to be well done, then I may give Mr. Hugo another try.


Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean
Les Miserables, an adaption of the popular theater musical which was adapted from the original novel by Hugo, tells the story of Jean Valjean, a man who stole bread to feed his family and was subsequently imprisioned. When he is finally released he becomes involved in the French Revolution while trying to escape his pursuer, Inspector Javert (Movie Insider).

Tom Hooper (The King's Speech) directs this historical fiction musical. Hugh Jackman (of Wolverine fame) plays the role of Jean Valjean, while Russell Crowe (Robin Hood, The Next Three Days) plays Inspector Javert. In the supporting roles are Anne Hathaway as Fantine, Eddie Redmayne as Marius, Samantha Barks as Eponine, Aason Tveit as Enjoiras, and Amanda Seyfried as Cosette.

Bill Nicholson wrote the screenplay for this Universal Pictures film. The film is currently in the Production stage, and filming began on March 14, 2012.

Les Miserables will be in theaters on December 14, 2012, and the film will not be available in 3D.


Do you think that Les Miserables will be Good, Bad, or Ugly? Have you ever seen the musical the film was adapted from, and did you like it?

And, just for the sake of asking, do you think I should try the Les Miserables book? :)




 - Edessa, signing off

3 comments:

  1. Kid, if you couldn't read Hunchback, don't even try Les Miz. It's worse, from what I have heard. :P

    However, the musical is one of the best pieces of music I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw an older movie of Les Miserables starring Liam Neeson, and it was really good!!! I'm going to read the book soon, I like the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Liam Neeson film was excellent, and I have high hopes for this movie. "The King's Speech" was a great movie, and both Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe are incredible actors, so I'd say this movie will be good - or more than good. I have not read the book, though. If you can handle the difficult prose, it's worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it clean. And "if you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all" (Thumper from "Bambi"). Other than that, all comments, suggestions, requests, questions, concerns, and compliments are more than welcome!

Post away! :D